Call Today 805.464.7315
Get a Free Consultation
  • Please enter your name.
  • This isn't a valid email address.
    Please enter your email address.
  • This isn't a valid phone number.
    Please enter your phone number.
    You entered an invalid number.
  • Please enter a message.
    Please select an option.
Need to Modify a Custody Agreement?

Petition for Modification to Child Custody In Ventura

Want to change your child custody agreement?

Although your divorce has been finalized, circumstances can change and that can affect the well-being of a child.

A child can suffer from the following complications following a divorce:

  • Health
  • Criminal behavior
  • An impending relocation
  • A parent remarries
  • Substance abuse
  • Neglect
  • Domestic violence

As a child matures, his or her needs can change. There can be any number of reasons for seeking a modification of child custody orders. While it is possible to obtain a modification, this is a complex legal matter which requires the assistance of an established Ventura divorce attorney who is well versed in family law and the court's approach to these petitions.

Is my case eligible for modification?

The State is most concerned with the welfare of innocent children. Maintaining a stable home environment is considered most beneficial to a child. Although child custody orders are modifiable as long as the child is a minor, the court must be convinced that there is a compelling reason to make change in the child's living arrangements.

The petitioner carries the burden of proving that a significant change in circumstances has taken place and the current custody order is not in the child's best interest. Because the state places great importance on the continuing stability of a child's home environment the petitioner must present persuasive evidence that the circumstances have changed to a sufficient degree that a modification is warranted. For example, to prove the custodial parent is guilty of domestic violence your family law lawyer would present police reports and court records showing a court conviction.

Contact Negley Law, APC For Guidance

If you have questions concerning child custody or reason to seek modification of a child custody order, talk to a knowledgeable divorce lawyer at our firm who can explain the laws and your rights. Negley Law, APC excels in problem resolution in child custody and family law matters.

If you need help with a modification to child custody, contact a Ventura Divorce attorney at the firm who can provide skilled and energetic legal representation.

Why Choose Negley Law, APC?

  • Prompt & Professional Legal Advice & Service

  • Over 20 Years of Combined Experience

  • Highly Recommended by Clients

  • Certified California Family Law Specialists

  • Avvo Reviews
  • Avvo Client's Choice 2016
  • Avvo Clients Choice 2018
  • Avvo Top Attorney
  • 2013 Top Lawyers in California
  • AV Peer Review Rated
  • Avvo Featured Attorney Family Law
  • Certified California Family Law Specialist
  • Ventura Chamber of Commerce
  • Ventura County Bar Association

Testimonials From Our Clients

See How We've Helped Our Past Clients Resolve Their Family Law Matters
  • “what's most important to me is that you carried yourself with me and my wife in a honorable manner.”


  • “I felt very confident in court today because of all your hard work and it paid off!”


  • “I appreciate all your hard work.”


  • “You and your firm are true professionals. You are fantastic.”


  • “Words cannot truly express my appreciation for the team at Negley Law.”


  • “exceeded expectations by under promising and over delivering.”


  • “He did a good job, has a great disposition, good manners, good poise, conducted himself properly at all times.”


  • “I am glad I found you guys. I really appreciate your help!”


  • “There’s no better lawyer to represent you than John Negley.”

    C. C.

  • “Thank you for enforcing the court's order. You are the best.”


  • “Things went great and you're an awesome lawyer. Thank you so much for all your help and advice. ”


  • “John is doing a terrific job on my case and I am very happy.”